- Higher performance of ecotourism destination management through increased quality of local human resources for boosting sustainable development in seven regions with protected areas and small scale tourism services in Romania.
- Increased qualification of the service providers from Romania that offer one of the core ecotourism activities.
- Increasing the awareness of the general public concerning the high quality ecotourism offer in Romania.
- Duration: 01 April 2015 – 31 August 2017
- Budget: 273.713,00 CHF (74.006 CHF AER budget)
- Funding source: Project co-financed by a grant from Switzerland through the Swiss Contribution to the enlarged European Union
- Partners: ProPark – Fundația pentru Arii Protejate (applicant), CIPRA
- Coordinator: Ioana Bejan
The main outcomes of the project are:
- organizing a basic training course (communication, protected areas, ecotourism and first aid), followed by practice modules for the 6 ecotourism activities included in the project (hiking, horse riding, fauna and flora observation, water activities, mountain biking and ski mountaineering) for tourism guides;
- publishing 6 best practice guide books for the six ecotourism activities;
- registering the new occupation of tourism destination manager in the Romanian Occupation Classification Index;
- elaboration of the occupational standard for tourism destination manager which was approved by the Romanian National Authority for Qualifications;
- organizing a training course on tourism destination management with experts from Austria and Switzerland;
- organizing an study trip in Switzerland for 11 persons;
- organizing a national workshop on tourism destination management in Bucharest with representatives of the industry;
- evaluation of 6 tourism programs according to the Eco-Romania ecotourism certification system;
- reprinting the Feel the Real Romania brochure;
- creating and printing a promotion brochure for the six ecotourism activities: 6 experiences for body and soul;
- attending 7 promotion events: Salonul Bicicletei Bucharest, Fundata Ecotourism Festival, EcoMarathon Moeciu, Bookfest Bucharest, Street Delivery Bucharest, Transylvanian Horse Show Prod și ExTerra Triathlon Băile Tușnad).